Monday, January 21, 2008

And I'm Back!

The last of my posts was well before Thanksgiving. Since then I have been inundated with end of semester papers, middle of break proposals (not the marriage kind), and beginning of semester project startups. Just because I am writing now doesnt mean that I am not still busy. It simply means that I need a little bit of time away from all that; time to do something unrelated to graduate school.

Although I have not been good about posting, I still have been eating some pretty wonderful food. Sometime after Thanksgiving I had a mini affair with beets. I made a wonderful beet risotto and a marginal beet and gorgonzola ravioli. The filling was tasty, but the execution of the ravioli needs some work. The beet risotto recipe is courtesy of Coconut & Lime.


The beet excursion was part of an attempt to eat healthier in between the holidays so that I didnt gain the traditional pounds. The health kick spurred another good dish that I probably wont make again. I shouldnt say that. I attempted to use spaghetti squash as a substitute for the real thing. The dish was flavorful but crunchy so it didnt end up having the same feel as pasta. I suggest making it as a side dish with grilled chicken rather than as a main course.

Spaghetti Squash with Arugula and Lemon

1 spaghetti squash - roasted
1 large bunch arugula
1 lemon worth zest
1/4 t red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic
1 shallot
1 T olive oil
1 pat of goat cheese*


Using a fork pull the strands of squash away from the rides and deposit the strands into a bowl. Be sure the squash has cooled sufficiently because the insides can be deceptively hot.

In a skillet, heat olive oil and saute the garlic and shallots until transparent. Add the hot pepper flakes and chopped arugula. Zest the lemon directly into the pan and toss to coat the arugula.

Add the squash into the skillet briefly to warm it.

Pile all that good stuff on to a plate and top with a pat of goat cheese.

*Yes, this is a similar pat of goat cheese that is on the beet risotto. Apparently when I am making something healthy to eat I feel the need to top it with dairy. It is Chevre Lite just in case you are wondering...

3 comments:

Pam said...

Thank god for that Chevre Lite!

Anonymous said...

Great idea. I'd love to come across Spaghetti Squash, but I've never seen one around here.

Your love of Goats cheese is encouraging too.

Anonymous said...

lovely posting...