Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Egg Salad with Water Chestnuts

Egg salad is one of those dishes that seems like it would be quick to whip up. Perhaps it isnt so bad if you already have the eggs boiled or if you have one of those fancy egg slicers that I happen to be lacking. But, it takes a significant chunk of time and a good deal of effort! Still, I persisted and made my slicer-free egg salad.

My recipe has all the normal ingredients...mayo, mustard, pickles, you know the rest. I then scanned my fridge for something that I had to use up soon and happened upon some left over water chestnuts from when I made (surprise, surprise) Thai Basil Chicken. I figured they wouldnt alter the flavor much but would add a nice crunch to the typically mushy salad. The texture difference ended up rocking my world so I am sharing it with you all, my 2 readers (hi, mom!).


Egg Salad with Water Chestnuts

6 eggs

3 gherkins diced

1 T. of gherkin juice

3 green onions thinly sliced

1 glove garlic diced

1/2 can of water chestnuts diced

2 t. sage diced

1 1/2 T. dijon mustard

1/4 light mayo

salt

pepper


Boil and slice the eggs.
Add the gherkins, onions, water chestnuts, sage, pepper, mustard, and mayo.

On a cutting board use the side of a knife to grind the salt and garlic together. This releases the oil in the garlic and makes the pieces of garlic softer. Add the garlic to the egg mixture.

Stir ingredients together and add more mayo to get the consistency you prefer.


I topped a bowl of baby spinach with my egg salad. It was a fantastic dinner and I am looking forward to leftovers tomorrow!

No comments: