Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Plum Galettes


"Seize the day!" I thought to myself as I strolled down the short block that is
my farmers market. Instead of my typical 2 pints of grape tomatoes, 4 asian pears, 1 carton of rasberries, and 1 gigantic bunch of basil, I also opted for some plums. They looked really ripe, but not yet squishy, and they were calling out for me to wrap them in pastry dough. Luckily, I know how to make pastry dough! While I had never actually cooked a plum before, like ever, I was up for the challenge, especially if it meant I got to take a break from writing my NSF grant.


Anyways, six plums later I was wrist-deep in purple juice. I followed a single pie crust recipe and shaped them by hand (because I dont have a rolling pin) into 4 little rounds and placed them on my silicon mat. I then coated what would be the fruit bottom of the galette with a thin layer of sugar and flour. "They" tell me that it is supposed to keep the bottom from getting goopey and, indeed, my bottom wasnt goopey so it must work!

Instead of doing something interesting to the pie crust I decided to add a little tangerine zest to the plum slices. I arranged the slices in as much of a pinwheel as I could manage and folded the pie crust over the edges of the plums in a somewhat "rustic" fashion.

I popped them in the oven topped with foil at 375 for 35 minutes. At that point I removed the foil and allowed the full heat of the oven to hit the galettes for another 5.

When they came out they really were prettier than the pictures let on. I even had one for dinner in a pseudo hat-tip to Bill Cosby who thought that chocolate cake made good breakfas
t since it included eggs and milk. I have to say that adding tangerine zest to the plums was freaking genius! Maybe they will give me an NSF award for that...

No comments: