Sunday, March 9, 2008

Busy


I havent been able to post this last week because I was working on my Master's defense presentation and then my mom came into town. I have still been cooking though. I do need to stay sane after all, and I cant do that without eating good food. I ended up making two kinds of scones (not at the same time) and my two labmates, V and M, seemed to enjoy my efforts.

The first was a pecan and pumpkin scone. I was in the mood for savory instead of sweet and the pumpkin flavor seemed very fresh. I ended up mixing the batter for too long so they were a bit smoother than they were intended to be and a bit more cake-y than scone-y, but that was my fault not the recipe's. Besides being tasty they were also gorgeous and would be great for guests or a brunch for friends.


The second recipe was a cheddar, bacon, and green onion scone. The bacon didnt go soggy which was my worry, and the green onion added a nice bite to the creamy cheddar flavor. Unlike the first batch, I didnt over mix the batter and the texture of the cooked scone was perfection.


Pumpkin Pecan Scones

2 c. flour
1/3 c. brown sugar

1/2 t. ginger powder

1/2 t. cinnamon

1/4 t. clove powder

1 t. baking powder

1/4 t. baking soda

1/4 t. salt

1/2 c. butter cubed

1/2 c pecans chopped

1/3 c. buttermilk

1/2 c. pumpkin puree

1 t. vanilla






Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.


Combine the dry ingredients.


Add the butter and combine until crumbly texture is achieved.


Add the nuts and stir to combine.


Add the pumpkin puree, vanilla, and buttermilk.


Flour a flat surface and form the dough into a 6-8 inch flatten ball. Cut the disk into 6-8 wedges.

Place the wedges on a cooking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes.


For an even more picture perfect look, brush the scones with a light egg wash before putting them in the oven.


Cheddar, Bacon, and Green Onion Scones
3 c. flour

1 T. baking powder

1 t. salt

1 t. black pepper

1 stick butter

1 1/2 c. grated cheese

4 green onions

10 slices bacon

3/4 c. buttermilk

1 large egg


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.


Combine the dry ingredients and butter.


Add the cheese, green onions and buttermilk.


Add the bacon (broken into chunks) and the egg.
Mix until just combined.

Follow the procedure for making scone wedges, brush with egg wash, and bake for 20 minutes.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Oh wow, I love scones. Thanks for the recipes, dear! I'm glad that your busy week is over ... CONGRATULATIONS on your amazing achievement. Cute pic of you, too! I daresay that is the sexiest academic I've seen! ;)

Maureen Reynolds said...

The scones look scrumptious! Seen in


Yep, I recall the bland food...lots of white and more white supplemented by tan.