Monday, February 11, 2008

Cream of Quinoa

My recent wave of exercising has actually got me to start craving foods that are good for me. I have cut back on my in take of sweets, upped by fruit and veggie count, and cut back on the carbs all without dieting. Not to mention the insane amount of fluids that I am drinking!

This trend has taken the form of meals with a foundation of quinoa. I have made a few quick dinners with quinoa that I havent posted recipes for but their photos are above. I am most proud of my cream of quinoa breakfast cereal. I love cream of wheat but quinoa has more fiber and protein than the wheat variety and you can make it up in the same way. Granted, it isnt as fast as the cream of wheat you can make in the microwave.

I dressed my breakfast up with some fresh pear. I think the earthy flavor of the grain goes well with the natural sugars of the fruit (even though I also sprinkled on some brown sugar too).


Cream of Quinoa

1/2 c. quinoa
1 c. skim milk
1 pat butter

cream
brown sugar
fresh fruit

Heat the milk to boiling and reduce flame. Add quinoa and butter. Reduce heat to low careful not to let the milk boil over (as it tends to do). Cover the pot and check every few minutes to stir and test the texture of the quinoa. Fully cooking the grain should take about 10-15 minutes.

Scoop the quinoa into a bowl. Pour a tad of cream on it. Top it with fresh fruit and sprinkle it all with sugar.

5 comments:

grace said...

simple, nutritious, and delicious. me likey. :)

Anonymous said...

I've always eaten quinoa as a savory dish, never as a slightly sweet. What a great breakfast idea! Todd will love this in place of his oatmeal. Will let you know what he thinks of it for breakfast!

test it comm said...

This looks like a nice way to use quinoa.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, I love quinoa! A couple of years ago a friend shared her recipe of quinoa, wild rice, scallions, rice vinegar, toasted walnuts and dried cranberries. It was a really good side dish. This sounds even better ... I've never had quinoa as a sweet dish! I will have to try this. Maybe I'll use some of Jack's stewed pear and cinnamon (BEFORE I puree it) as a topping, I bet that would be delicious too!

Paulette said...

I made this very dish just this morning. Then I searched Google to see if anyone else cooks their quinoa in milk. So glad I found a like-minded individual!

I used rice milk and it was really delicious!